Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Missoula fly fishing and the horse it rode in on. Or, gone round the bend.

   Missoula Montana fly fishing could be good or bad right now. It's been too damn cold to tell. I did take a quick walk along the Clark Fork with the new dog yesterday and saw oodles of midges on the bank. I still wasn't inspired or hopeful. Go lace up those wading boots and let me know how it shakes out. I heard it was really great between Hamilton and Missoula on the Bitterroot, and there were no toobers. I'll be home with my slippers on next to a fire with a Lab curled up at my feet. 
   So, Ive had enough of this winter. I know I complain every February about how long winter gets, but good Lord! Bipedal mammals aren't meant for this sort of agony, unless you're an Eskimo happily waiting next to a narwhals only breathing hole.  I guess that could be deeply satisfying. I'd never post pictures on Instagram with my bloodied and lifeless narwhal, but I'd certainly tell all of my Eskimo pals down at the Igloo Saloon. They tend to be a jovial bunch. 
   So how about some of the usual b.s.? Snowpack looks about right. It was a touch low, but after the last two weeks we're good. The streamflows on the flowing streams looks about right. On the un-flowing streams it looks like it might be challenging.  
   Our guide "community" lost two really great humans this year. I'm not talking about guys who went out and got "real" jobs- anyone can do that. I'm talking about two men that made the world a better place to wake up to. Patch Godown and Curt McChesney both passed in the last two months, both way too soon.  Curt was the kind of guy who'd take the time for a conversation about whatever, help you load a boat at the ramp and would always greet you with a big smile. He was a tremendous guy. Shit, he taught me about chickens and how a dozen eggs were way cheaper at the store. I have a six chickens now thanks to Curt.  Patch was hilarious and always made you laugh. He was sensible, courteous, provocative and genuine. Let's leave it at that. My thoughts and prayers are with their loved ones. God bless both of these guys.  Google both of them. They meant so much to so many people. Don't forget them. 
   

The BEST day of 2018!

1 comment:

  1. I went yesterday, sight fishing beadheads and new Zealand style indicators in and around the log jams at cheif looking glass. The water was really low and clear and the trout were spooking as soon as my fly line laid out on the water... Still better than being stuck inside. Not too much in the way of midges or capnias that usually occur this time of year. Hopefully the nemouras show up on the Clark for to get some early good dry fly fishing in the riffles.

    ReplyDelete